Hello & Welcome to The Motion Picture Prop Community - Forums
You can also find us on Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Sign Up
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Katsucon Kitbash.

    Lee and I were invited to a convention in the D.C. area called Katsucon. Katsucon is primarily an anime convention, but one of the founders wanted to do stuff on modeling. Lee was bringing up his Falcon, so it seemed like the right time.

    One of the panels we were going to be presenting was Kitbashing 101. To illustrate the "art form" I decided to build something from all the parts I have laying around.

    I had no idea what it was going to be, as it evolved as I added model parts. It stated with part of a Saturn V and some tank parts. It just grew from there.

    Here is a photo journey of how it started and where it is now.

    IMG_7006.jpgIMG_7005.jpgIMG_7041.jpgIMG_7039.jpgIMG_7040.jpg
    Lift your head up off the floor, come up screaming.

  2. #2
    One I figures out how to attach the M41 tank turret, I started adding greeblies. Let me restate that I had no idea what this was going to be. I added parts for two reasons: 1. They fit the area. 2. They looked cool/functional.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lift your head up off the floor, come up screaming.

  3. #3
    I started working on an engine, as it needed one. I used the wheel covers from a Tamiya 88 as a base. I had then in my parts box, and then just looked like they would work. I then behind to fill all the open spaces with parts that looked like they would work as engine parts. I used engine parts off of tank models and some of the machine guns and rifles that came with the tank kits.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lift your head up off the floor, come up screaming.

  4. #4
    One of my favorite additions to the model was the use of tank treads to help hide some of the imperfections of the build.

    I used it on the inside of the "front" of the model to give some detail to the interior and I used it on the rear of the model to cover up some imperfections of the cut and attachment of the rear plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lift your head up off the floor, come up screaming.

  5. #5
    Gluing on the greeblies is a strange endeavor. You begin to get into a groove and everything starts to flow in the right direction. Parts seem to fit better and you start to shape the way the model will look. You add little details that many will never see, but you do it because you know its there and it makes the model cooler. It is a very organic process. A ton of fun.

    Once I had most of the parts on, I primed it to see what it looked like in a uniform color.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lift your head up off the floor, come up screaming.

  6. #6
    Work on the engine continued. It was started to look more and more like a starship engine. The problem was how to attach it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lift your head up off the floor, come up screaming.

  7. #7
    Engine Primed! And i figured out where it was going to be mounted on the model.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lift your head up off the floor, come up screaming.

  8. #8
    Once I figured out the model was finished, i.e. no more parts were going to be added on, I primed it and base coated it with Reefer White. I added some stripes and colored panels using a red and light blue from the Vallejo model air line.

    I started to apply washes and used some weathered black to add heavier areas of dirt. All the paint scratches are topical. I used a bunch of washes to build up color and weathering on the model, especially in-between the panels.
    Lift your head up off the floor, come up screaming.

  9. #9
    great work as always Steve

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 PM.
The Motion Picture Prop Community
The MPPC is a division of Rogue Studio LLC